The COordinated Regional climate Downscaling EXperiment (CORDEX) is a framework aimed at improving coordination of international efforts in regional climate downscaling research. CORDEX was initiated as a result of the task Force on Regional Climate Downscaling, formed by the World Climate Research Program (WCRP). For details on CORDEX, visit the CORDEX website.
The CORDEX-WRF community has been established to coordinate the community of WRF model users within the CORDEX framework. The main mechanisms for coordination are:
- This CORDEX-WRF Wiki site
- The CORDEX-WRF distribution list (cordexwrf+subscribe /AT/ googlegroups /DOT/ com)
- The simulation list (tinyurl.com /SLASH/ cordex /DASH/ wrf /DASH/ simulations)
Specifically, the CORDEX-WRF aims are:
- Produce evaluation, historical and scenario simulations using WRF for all CORDEX regions
- Coordinate the design of the evaluation simulations and their joint evaluation
- Collaborate with the
- Region-specific CORDEX Communities (RCC).
- WRF community to improve the model for regional climate, by identifying key problems and through aims 4.a and 4.b, below.
- WRF improvements for regional climate modelling
common tools to process model input & output
- common metrics to compare RCD results across regions
- Collect suitable observational data for evaluation
- Foster the exchange of data, knowledge and tools among the groups